Natural ways to help and prevent arthritis:
– Joint supplements – Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vitamin C
– Acupuncture – ahvma.org has a database of vets around the country
– Cold Laser
– Raw feeding with oils – Wild Salmon and Organic Coconut
Good parents want the best and longest life for their children. Greyhound parents are no exception. Just about every greyhound has joint issues. Osteo-arthritis, also called Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD), is the most common and appears more frequently as more greyhounds find their way to loving homes and longer lives.
Most greyhounds have arthritis. You might not notice it, but they are feeling it. Athletic wear and tear from training, racing, and living in crates wreaks havoc on the joints and cartilage. It is visible in the hundreds of greyhounds that have passed through the Gang’s home. It is visible in all those dogs walking Dewey Beach each year. Greyhounds, in particular, need help to ease the pain in those joints.
Here’s an analogy for a very basic joint/cartilage summary. You’re sitting on the wood floor. It’s hard and inflexible, and can rub because there is no cushion, unless you’ve been blessed with an ample butt. You put a pillow under you, and it’s softer and more comfortable. The longer you use that pillow, the less cushiony it becomes as it suffers the trauma of you using it (some more vigorously than others), and as time passes you’ll start to feel the hard floor.
Joints are the same way. They are cushioned by cartilage and fluids. As aging and wear and tear occurs, the cartilage and fluids deteriorate, and the bony joints start rubbing against one another, causing pain without fluids and cartilage to cushion it.
The following list of natural supplements can prevent, retard and even correct arthritic degradation. The list is based on research and knowledge gleaned from the hundreds of greyhounds passing through Gang’s doors on their way to their forever homes. I’ve been using glucosamine and other supplements since 2000. I’ve seen the positive results.
This list (which is always mutating) is what I give to any greyhound that has trained, raced or broken something. (I also use this for all the spinal/disk injuries evident as greyhounds age.) I start with the foundation supplement – glucosamine – and then add and subtract other supplements as I watch the dogs and their reactions. You can even give these supplements when no signs are visibly present, but other issues present themselves – like broken hocks, toes, racing career, age, etc.
Arthritis should not debilitate your dogs. They can romp, cockroach and play bow even as they age. Preventative care, as well as treatment of current joint aches and pains, is a spoonful of white powder away.
These natural supplements have the ability to replenish the fluids, decrease the inflammation, and stop the killing of all the good cells. Used for centuries by the Chinese and Europeans, Americans are starting to see the value of these remedies. Give them a try as they are inexpensive, and can truly make a difference.
- Restores cartilage, replenishes synovial fluids
- 1500 mg a day for a dog over 50 lbs.
- Two months minimum, daily
- Restores cartilage & lubrication.
- Anecdotal evidence for allergies and cancer tumor reduction.
- 1500 – 3000 mg a day – dog over 50 lbs.
- Two months minimum, daily
- Best given with Glucosamine HCL
- For inflammation
- 1500 – 2000 mgs a day
- Best given with Glucosamine HCL & Vitamin C
- Maintains connective tissue, collagen & bone health
- As needed to bowel tolerance
- Lubricates, reduces inflammation, regulates immune system. Use for fibromyalgia and rheumotoid arthritis
- 1000 – 2000 mg a day
- Best given with Glucosamine HCL & Digestive Enzymes
- For antioxidants, inflammation, and skin – need minimum 5:1 ratio – Omega 3 to 6.
- As needed or daily
- A very intensive application of glucosamine
- Six shots over a month’s time frame
- Yucca – intensive and works. I seldom use NSAIDs or Prednisone
- Turmeric Golden Paste
- Boswellia, Bromelain are other natural ones
Acupuncture – monthly or more often as needed
Chiropractic – monthly or more often as needed
Massage – daily. Please come to my house too!