They can be sneaky, our hounds. If you have anything laying around, they will be interested. Be vigilant, and put food and items away, because some of those items can be very harmful to them.
It’s always a good idea to post, close at hand, your veterinarian’s number, the number of an emergency clinic, and the number for the Poison Control Center.
Poison Control Hotlines
Before you call, note the time your pet was exposed to the toxin, the type of product ingested, the manufacturer’s name and any ingredients you can find listed on packaging.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
National Animal Poison Control Center
If you need to speak to a veterinarian there, this service will be billed to a credit card. An alternate number is (900) 680-0000. A veterinarian’s services on this line will cost a flat fee (was $45) for the first five minutes, and an additional fee per minute for each additional minute. These charges will be billed to your phone bill. (Call them for current pricing)
Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital
FREE 24 hours poison control hotline for pet owners and veterinarians. Be patient. The person answering the phone may have to take a few minutes to consult the vet on duty.
Pet Lover’s Helpline
Tuft University School of Veterinary Medicine
The following list is not complete and some situations and with some hounds many things can be potentially toxic. We can help our hounds by being more vigilant about their environment.
Some Foods which are toxic and poisonous to pets:
Alcohol (all alcoholic beverages, ethanol, methanol, isopropyl)
Broccoli (in large amounts)
Chocolate (all types)*
Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
Hops (used in home brewing)
Mould y/spoiled foods
Potato (leaves & stem, peelings, and unripe green potatoes)
Sugar Free items with Xylitol (see below)***
Tomatoes (leaves & stem, and green tomatoes)
Some plants potentially toxic to dogs include:
Daffodil bulbs (notice this is the bulb and not the flower)
Lilly Of The Valley
Mistletoe and Holly
Some Common household items potentially toxic to dogs include:
Cleansers and Disinfectants
Rat Poison/Bait traps
If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, get to your veterinarian as soon as possible. In some cases, it may be after hours or the dog may not have the time to wait to get to an emergency clinic. Administering hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting is correct with some poisons, but not all. Check with your vet or poison control first.
Good websites about poisoning include:
Your first aid kit should contain these items for poisoning.
- Poison Control number
- a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide, 3 percent USP (to induce vomiting)
- a turkey baster, bulb syringe or large medicine syringe (to administer peroxide)
- saline eye solution
- artificial tear gel (to lubricate eyes after flushing)
- mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid (for bathing an animal after skin contamination)
- forceps (to remove stingers)
- a muzzle (to protect against fear- or excitement-induced biting)